Valentine’s Day Countdown
Growing up, our household celebrated every holiday. With Valentine’s Day also being my mother’s birthday, it was always a special day. Her love of celebrating holidays made it more memorable.
We would wake up in the morning to heart-shaped pancakes, and she would leave us little treats with a homemade valentine. I agree that we should share our love everyday, but there is still something unique and worth celebrating on Valentine’s Day.
This year, I thought it would be fun to celebrate our love every day of February leading up to the big day. I decided to make a Valentine’s countdown calendar.
Each day has a little note that shares something special to do with your child that day.
What you will need:
- Construction Paper
- Glue Stick
To start, I decided to make little envelopes that would hold the little notes for each day.
1. Start with 14 pieces of construction paper (mine was 8 1/2 by 11 inches). To make your envelopes square, you will need to cut them so they are 5 1/2 by 11 inches. Just trim 2 1/2 inches off one side of your paper.
2. Once they are all cut, fold each one in half.
2. To seal the sides of your envelope, leave the top open, and fold the sides over about 1/4 an inch on each side.
4. To keep them closed, use tape in each corner.
Tip: If you don’t want to make your own envelopes, you can always use store bought ones, too!
Now to make them look cute!
Next, I added numbers to my envelopes. I used my Silhouette machine. You can use stickers, or just write the numbers on each envelope!
Now for the notes:
I cut pieces of white paper to fit inside my envelops. The papers ended up measuring 5 1/2 by 5 inches. Then I used my Silhouette to decorate my notes a little bit. You can just leave your white or add anything you would like to them.
Next I make a list from 1-14 of thing that I would like to put in the envolopes as something that would be special to do. Here are a few ideas:
- Pink Bubble Bath – just add a little food coloring to make your bath water pink!
- Make cookies
- Cut out Hearts
- Decorate the house for Valentine’s day
- Go to the park ticket – give to mom or dad to schedule a trip to the park this week.
- Make a blanket fort
- Movie and popcorn night
- Send a Valentine to someone (using snail mail)
- Decorate Valentine’s
Have fun coming up with ideas that will be special for you and your little ones to do!
Here is what my finished notes looked liked:
Now that everything is ready to go its time to hang them on the wall. I started by filling each of my envelopes with a note then I just used double stick tape and taped them on to the wall. I also made a little count down sign to hang above it.
Here is what my finished countdown calendar looks like:
ABOUT KATIE: Katie spends her days with toddlers, as their preschool teacher. She loves to bake, cook, camp, and read, but she her greatest love is creating crafts and sharing them with kids. Katie and her newlywed husband are living happily ever after on a little island in the Pacific Northwest where she was born and raised. Keep your eyes open for her posts on Bonbon Break, where she will be a regular contributor. Follow Katie on Pinterest, Google+ and Twitter.
This post was written by Katie Myers exclusively for Bonbon Break Media, LLC