Crispy Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets (Gluten Free)
There are things in life you will never forget, like foods that connect with your childhood.
I’m thinking of fried chicken.
As a kid, I have very fond memories of a crispy, crunchy chicken eaten from a paper bucket. Back when people called it Kentucky Fried Chicken and not a series of letters.
Ten years ago, while I was still living in Greece, I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Since then, I have been unable to eat the spicy and fried foods I once loved. It was a pretty rough adjustment, but I realized the only way to enjoy food again was to make healthier choices. My mother taught me how to cook nutritious, scrumptious food and she inspired this recipe.
Some people believe that healthy food isn’t tasty. Well, that’s just plain wrong! This oven-baked chicken with quinoa crust is loaded with protein and fiber. Simply put, it’s succulent and crispy perfection. You will never guess that it’s actually good for you!
CRISPY QUINOA CRUSTED CHICKEN NUGGETS RECIPE
Prep time:15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1” pieces
- 1 tablespoon potato flakes (gluten free)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- ¼ Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- ½ cup white rice flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, combine the 1 cup of water and the quinoa. Let it come to a boil. Turn heat to low, put the lid on and let it simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, keep the saucepan covered for an additional 5 minutes, and then fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let it cool and mix it with the Parmesan cheese.
- In the bowl of your food processor, combine the chicken pieces, the potato flakes and the cold water, the garlic powder, the salt and pepper. Pulse until the chicken is finely chopped.
- With wet hands, roll and flatten chicken mixture into small nugget patties, using 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture for each nugget.
- Roll the nugget into the white rice flour, then the beaten eggs and finally the quinoa and Parmesan mixture. Press gently for quinoa to adhere.
- Transfer nuggets to greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Flipping them halfway through baking.
READ THIS NEXT:
PIN IT FOR LATER:
March’s Theme Sponsored By:
Would you like to sponsor a theme? Click here.
This post was written by Rita Anastasiou exclusively for BonBon Break Media, LLC.