Pot Roast, Skirt Steak, Funnel Cake & Cooking with Kids
Savory Slow Cooker Pot Roast
~:: Val Curtis of Mental Chew ::~
Fall is here with it’s gray skies, raindrops on the window and cooler temperatures. It is time to get your slow cooker dusted off. Go ahead, invite some friends over for a true family-style dinner. Entice their senses with a
touch smack down of aromatics. Oh so easy. Oh so savory.
ABOUT VAL: Val Curtis is the creator of the Food & Garden site Mental Chew. She is a former middle school science teacher who put her career on hold to be at home with her two babes.
When Val breaks away from her keyboard, she enjoys gardening, cooking, hiking, camping, tidepooling, sailing and potlucks. She gets a kick out of combing the web for recipes and then adapting them for her husband, family and friends to enjoy. Through her love of organic cooking, she became interested in growing her own produce and Mental Chew gave her the chance to combine her love of food and gardening as well as explore her new passion of photography.
Asian-Style Skirt Steak
~:: Strands of My Life ::~
I have never used skirt steak before but got curious about it and ventured into an unknown realm. Adriano’s butcher had some secreted out the back and was surprised at the request because it is not a popular cut here. It is very flavorful but can be tough. The secret is to let it marinate for a while with a wet rub on it and the steak will tenderize nicely. It also must be grilled hot and fast and mustn’t be overcooked. Why the butcher had some out the back if he thought no one would buy it was never revealed. But maybe he buys entire cows at a time and there is a skirt steak in each beast and he can’t send it back. That’s right – only one skirt steak per cow, but it’s big. You would think this would make it rare and expensive but that was not the case. Maybe he was happy to see the back of it.
RECENTLY FEATURED IN THE KITCHEN:
- Oreo Monster Pops ~:: Lisa of Wine & Glue ::~
- Muffin Tin Halloween ~:: Another Lunch ::~
- Pie O’Lantern ~:: Flour Arrangements ::~
- Oranges En Surprise ~:: Noshing with the Nolands ::~
- 12 Tips to Cut Cost, Not Quality in Your Meals ~:: Val Curtis of Mental Chew ::~
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Fudge ~:: Good Girl Gone Green ::~
- 5 Extraordinary Uses for Garlic ~:: Groovy Green Livin ::~
- How to Make Farm-to-Table Chick Peas ~:: Fuel Your Body Well ::~
- Dark Chocolate and Salted Caramel Topped Shortbread ~:: Doughmesstic ::~
- The Secret To Perfect Cauliflower Pizza Crust ~:: The Detoxinista ::~
- Skinny Turkey Chili and Cornbread Casserole, Great for Football Season ~:: Skinny Kitchen ::~
- DIY Vanilla Extract ~:: Bake at 350 ::~