My love for thrift shopping is well known. On any given day, I’m wearing some new-to-me item, even if, like today, it’s noon and that item is my bathrobe.
One place I haven’t written about much is the dollar store. I was thrilled when our town got a new one last year (Dollar Tree), where everything truly is a dollar. Our other one had become more like the 1.99-2.49 store in recent years. Boo.
I know that dollar stores can be an overwhelming jumble sometimes, leaving us feeling a bit like, what?
So, here are…
The 10 Things I Always Buy at the Dollar Store
1) Makeup Remover Pads, Cotton Balls, Cotton Swabs. These are MUCH cheaper at the dollar store than at a drug store, Target, or the grocery. I use these every day.
2) Denture Cleaner: I don’t have dentures, but I do wear a mouth guard and a retainer each night to bed. Getting a jumbo box of these fizzy tablets for a dollar? Score!
3) Disposable Pans: When I cook for others (which is not that often because I’m a terrible cook), I try to use a disposable aluminum pan so that there is no worry about returning a dish to me. Dollar stores usually have 2 or 3-packs for a dollar.
4) Advil/Tylenol: While I wouldn’t feel comfortable making the dollar store my primary drugstore, I have been buying pain relievers there for years with success. Huge price difference.
5) Greeting Cards: I still think it’s nice to pay for a quality hand-crafted card every now and then, but I like to stock up on greeting cards at the dollar store. Sad to say, there is always a need for sympathy cards and thinking of you cards. My Dollar Tree sells them for 0.50 each. Having cards already available at home makes me more likely to send them.
6) Toothbrushes: We are germaphobes here, so we need lots of extra toothbrushes on hand.
7) Baggies: I try not to use a lot of baggies, but when I do need them, I get them from the dollar store. Unless I am doing heavy-duty freezing of soups, etc, the slightly flimsy dollar store baggies suit my needs for travel, food storage, etc.
8) Padded envelopes, packing supplies, manila folders: I needed a lot of these during my book launch, and the dollar store was a great place to find them! While I wouldn’t use all dollar store office supplies (hello, fake Sharpies!) I really like their paper products. This is also THE place to go for poster board.
9) Garage sale supplies: price stickers, yard signs, etc. They have these at office supply stores that cost much more.
10) Balloons and Party Supplies: At our new dollar store, mylar balloons truly are a dollar. This is much cheaper than the grocery store or party stores. Other party supplies such as plastic ware, colorful, disposable table cloths, and theme accessories are also plentiful, as are gift bags and tissue paper.
PIN IT FOR LATER:
This post was syndicated with permission to BonBon Break Media, LLC.